When the railroad was extended southward from Midland into Vermilion Parish in 1896, a station was created at Morse, about four miles south of Midland. It was built to serve settlers who had bought land from W.W. Duson and was named for a railroad official. A post office, known as Lorna, was established on April 30, 1898. The name of the village was changed to Morse on July 1, 1900. It was named for S.F.B. Morse, a Southern Pacific official. Morse was incorporated as a village on March 27, 1906. Alcee Henry was the first mayor.