David E. Lyons, the “Amusement King,” built the Grand Opera House in 1901 and brought many successful plays and shows to Crowley. After Lyons’ death in 1940, the theatre closed and became a hardware store. In 1999, the building was purchased and completely restored by L.J. Gielen who then donated the entire 33,000-square-foot building to the nonprofit organization, the Grand Opera House of the South. It has been in operation since 2008 as a performing arts venue.
Check the Grand Opera House of the South’s website for a calendar of musical and theatre performances. Tours available by appointment only. Event hosting available.
Mon-Fri 8:00am-12:00pm, or by appointment.